The Centre seeks to fill the position of:
2 x Paralegals (Based in Cape Town)
Scope of the position:
This post requires a matric graduate who has successfully completed an accredited paralegal course that will:
• Provide legal advice to clients through face to face consultations, telephonically and via email.
• Complete Client Query Forms and Register after each consultation.
• Service the Khayelitsha Advice office and Court Helpdesk.
• Provide legal advice to other organisations who seek assistance.
• Responsible for legal administration and recording, tracking, follow up and reporting of cases and clients across advice sites.
• Identify cases for public interest litigation.
• Conduct research as required for resolving queries.
• Represent the WLC at workshops, seminars, conferences, community groups or public functions.
• Contribute to WLC advocacy activities and implementation of advocacy initiatives for legal advice
Education and Qualifications:
• Matric and an accredited paralegal qualification.
• At least one year relevant work experience.
• General knowledge in various areas of the law including: Family law, labour law, housing, human rights and Constitutional law.
• Committed to addressing inequality and injustice and to protecting and furthering women’s rights.
• Have superb interpersonal skills; the ability to work collaboratively with others
• Excellent networking skills
• Have competent excellent writing and presentation skills.
• Have a strong commitment to high quality client service.
• Highly organised with strong people management skills.
• Fluency in English, Afrikaans and an African language (optional).
• Basic research skills.
• Assertive and confident.
• Friendly, compassionate / empathetic, insightful and patient with people.
• Computer skills (MSWord, Excel, Internet, Email).
Salary is commensurate with experience and the Centre’s remuneration framework.
Closing date: 8 May 2015
To apply please send a cover letter and comprehensive CV (no more than 3 pages) with three references, certified copies of all qualifications and identity document to:
The Director OR Fax to: 021-424 5206
P O Box 5356
Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only. If you have not been contacted within one month of the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The Women’s Legal Centre conducts all appointment processes in terms of its Employment Equity Policy.